Fireworks Can Be Dangerous
When I was a lot younger I had an unfortunate experience with a firecracker exploding next to my ear.
It did not do me any good and I would not recommend using fireworks without knowing what one is doing. This was how I learned about the dangers of fireworks.
I relate here the effects of a cracker exploding next to my ear, I didn't have a good day that day. The inside part of my ear was really sore and loud sounds made it feel worse.
Perhaps you have had a similar experience or know something about pyrotechnics?
An Unfortunate Incident
I certainly got a big fright
Years ago when I was at junior school I had an unfortunate experience when a firecracker exploded next to my ear.
It was my own fault, I was young and in those days fireworks were fully legal, they could be purchased in any local store. We used to let off numerous crackers, sparklers, rockets, spinning wheels and other fireworks, normally on the 5th November, 'Guy Fawks'.
It was a school day and I was in my parents bedroom before going off to school. We lived in a double story house and, can you believe it I was lighting firecrackers and throwing them out of the window. I'm pretty sure my parents must have been telling me to stop lighting them and tossing them out the window, as it was dangerous.
I persisted and then it happened, I lit one cracker, held it up to throw out the window, but before I could discard it, it exploded right next to my ear. 'Tom Thumbs' I think they were called, nevertheless, small as it was, the effect on my ear was not good.
I experienced a sudden loss of hearing in my one ear, and then pain followed. It was a long time ago so I don't remember all the details of the experience. I do remember that I went to school that day with a deaf and very sore ear on the one side, namely the right ear.
We used to have an assembly at school where we would sing hymns and the headmaster would make various announcements and notices. The singing was extremely painful to my ear, I winced from the pain but tried not to show that something was terribly wrong with me.
I must have felt terribly guilty and embarrassed about what I'd done to myself because I didn't tell anybody about it but just suffered in silence.
The day at school was a nightmare for me, sitting in class was not easy, I'm surprised none of the teachers asked me if there was something wrong; I must have hidden it well, but my ear pained and I felt really terrible.
I expect it took a few days for the ear to heal, fortunately it hasn't affected my hearing, but what a thing to do!
After that incident I was much more cautious with fireworks when 'Guy Fawks' came around every year.
Eventually the private use of fireworks was banned, only public displays of fireworks are allowed in certain areas. The affects on animals, especially dogs can be devastating. One year when firecrackers were exploding a dog from the neighbourhood came into our yard and got stuck in our back door security gate. Fortunately I was able to free him.
Fireworks when used properly and professionally are a beautiful spectacle to watch and experience, nevertheless the dangers still exist...
Fireworks Displays - Some Unfortunate Incidents
Many of you have probably seen some spectacular fireworks displays over the New Year Season.
We have them here in the city when the holiday season starts and on New Years Eve. I normally don't go because of the traffic congestion.
Unfortunately a man got hurt at one of these displays in December, something went wrong with one of the launches; it hit him in the face and damaged his eardrums (hopefully temporarily). His one eye was hurt and the hair on his arms was singed. I read about this in the local newspaper. These freak accidents do sometimes happen it seems.
I saw on the TV news about all the displays in various cities of the world, Dubai apparently hosted the biggest display.
It's tragic that people even get injured sometimes in these controlled displays.
I also read of a boy who had some of his fingers blown off in accident with a cracker. I'm sure one may hear of many such cases that occur mostly at this time of the year, or during Guy Fawks.
Safe Fireworks Display
Raynard on June 14, 2018:
Thankyou for your comment! The exact thing happened to me now with the exact same fire crackers! I go hunting a lot and so i’m obviously used to hearing gun shots. But now i found these old tom thumb crackers and decided to light one. First one sounded dull as i was a few feet away. But now the second one exploded a lot quicker due to the short fuse and i was inches away from it, and as it exploded i thought it good to look away and boom. My left ear is now just rining and dull, struggle to hear. A quick google search and i hit this comment. I really appreciate your experience that you shared above. Staying far away from these things now.
David Edward Lynch (author) from Port Elizabeth, South Africa on July 07, 2014:
@Rhonda Lytle: Thanks for your comments poetvix, I haven't used fireworks myself for years since they were banned here for personal usage. Thanks for stopping by.
Rhonda Lytle from Deep in the heart of Dixie on July 05, 2014:
As a kid, I loved fireworks, too much. When very young, so young I barely remember it, my Dad had got a huge bunch. Long story short, I instigated some of those getting thrown into the fire thinking it would be fun to watch. Really bad. We were lucky the entire property didn't go up in flames. As an adult, I only do them at public venues with professionals setting them off. After reading this, I'm somewhat concerned about even that. Great lens and very timely.
David Edward Lynch (author) from Port Elizabeth, South Africa on October 12, 2013:
@ryokomayuka: Thanks for visiting my lens and commenting; watching a show is best.
ryokomayuka from USA on October 10, 2013:
I have never been near fireworks. The closest it just watching a show.
David Edward Lynch (author) from Port Elizabeth, South Africa on October 09, 2013:
@SavioC: Thanks for visiting my lens SavioC & for commenting.
SavioC on October 08, 2013:
As a kid of 10 I was watching some fireworks when suddenly I felt one piece hit me with some force near my neck . I can't forget that as it shook the living daylights out of me for I kept wondering what if it had to hit me in the eye. Ever since I stay far from crackers.
David Edward Lynch (author) from Port Elizabeth, South Africa on October 06, 2013:
@Erin Mellor: Yes, it was the same when I was younger, we celebrated Guy Fawks, had a lot of fun but often heard of people or animals being hurt by fireworks; I'm fine with Fireworks Displays though...
Erin Mellor from Europe on October 06, 2013:
Things are a lot safer now, when I was a kid you could just buy fireworks with your pocket money.
mel-kav on September 30, 2013:
Wow - how scary! I hope your story will help someone else think twice before being careless with fireworks. Thanks for sharing.
David Edward Lynch (author) from Port Elizabeth, South Africa on September 28, 2013:
@RuralFloridaLiving: Thanks for visiting and your comment
RuralFloridaLiving on September 26, 2013:
Scary situation. Thanks for sharing your warning for others to see.
David Edward Lynch (author) from Port Elizabeth, South Africa on September 21, 2013:
@Spectralix: Sorry to hear that you also had this experience, I thinks it would be advisable to see a doctor about it if you haven't already. I only saw your comment now as I wasn't online for a couple of days. Recover soon!
Spectralix on September 20, 2013:
It just happened to me a few hours ago, I heard a small explosion right next to me and I had tinnitus for about 2min in both ears. Now my left ear is fine but my right has a strange pressure inside it, something similar when going to mountains. I can still hear well with both but the pressure is annoying. A friend told me that I should wait at least 16h to see if it's gone before going to the doctor. Is it alright to wait for another day or so?
David Edward Lynch (author) from Port Elizabeth, South Africa on May 28, 2013:
@artbyrodriguez: Thanks for your comment and also for your input on the Squidoo Rocketsquids Lounge Forum
Beverly Rodriguez from Albany New York on May 27, 2013:
Sounds like a horrific experience. It's funny how kids don't let others know they have a problem and just try to get through it.
anonymous on February 12, 2013:
Yes, I agreed with you, thanks for the post !
David Edward Lynch (author) from Port Elizabeth, South Africa on January 14, 2013:
@CamelliaPenny: Thanks for your comment, I think fireworks need to be left in the hands of the professionals,
Perrin from South Carolina on January 13, 2013:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I live in an area where fireworks are not illegal. Unfortunately, I have some neighbors who are sometimes very irresponsible and inconsiderate with their use of fireworks. Your story is a great cautionary tale.
David Edward Lynch (author) from Port Elizabeth, South Africa on December 29, 2012:
@captainj88: Thanks for comment
Leah J. Hileman from East Berlin, PA, USA on December 25, 2012:
I had a similar experience in 8th grade when a firecracker was set off next to my seat on the school bus. I had temporary tinnitus for a few weeks, and some dizziness the first 48 hours. Not fun.