Poem: The Pleasure and Joy of an Old Friendship
An old friend who is also a close friend is a divine favor. This is the kind of friend who guarantees our acceptance just the way we are, and shares our joys as well as our sorrows. Everyone deserves a close friend; and every close friend deserves some appreciation.
One of My Primary School Friends Who Is Still My Close Friend
The following poem expresses my appreciation for all those who have shared a close friendship with me at any time in my life. Most have moved on, but the impact of a wholesome friendship always remain. The celebrations, the stories, the laughter as well as the difficulties we shared contributed to our survival then and now. Long live our old friends!
If these lines are appropriate expressions for any of the close friendships which you, my readers enjoy, please feel free to use them. Also, enjoy the "old friends" quotes after the poem.
To My Old and Becoming-Old Friends
To love without having to prove it;
To be loved without reason to doubt it;
To reach for a hand without any fear;
To embrace just because we are standing near;
To whisper secrets in each other’s ear—
The pleasure and joy in an old friendship.
To be fond but not too familiar;
To respect the views that are dear to each;
To not take for granted the love we share;
To not neglect showing much we care;
To not be ashamed when our souls we bare
Add pleasure and joy to an old friendship.
To look forward to time together;
To long for comfort from each other’s words;
To be sixty and laugh about age ten;
To measure the difference twixt boys and men;
To share important first times, telling when
Share pleasure and joy in an old friendship.
To point out faults but not criticize;
To tell the truth without selfish reason;
To depend on each other when there’s need
To come to the rescue with greatest speed;
To forgive as part of our friendship creed
Show pleasure and joy in an old friendship.
To be present when there’s severe pain;
To be the one who stays when others leave;
To be trusted when other friendships fail;
To know feelings not spoken in detail
To be proof that love and goodness prevail;
Seal pleasure and joy in an old friendship.
- Poem written by Dora Isaac Weithers.
Ten “Old Friends” Quotes
(1) It takes a long time to grow an old friend. – John Leonard
(2) There is no friend like an old friend who has shared our morning days, no greeting like his welcome, no homage like his praise. – Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
(3) True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity, before it is entitled to the appellation. – George Washington
(4) It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
(5) Remember that the most valuable antiques are dear old friends. – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- 3 Ways to Find an Old Friend - wikiHow
The internet makes finding an old friend much easier than it used to be, if you know which tools to use. This article can be helpful.
(6) No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth. – Robert Southey
(7) Old wine and friends improve with age. – Italian Proverb
(8) One old friend is better than two new ones. – Yiddish Proverb
(9) The best mirror is an old friend. – Proverb
(10) We need to start our old friendship when we’re young. We then have to nurture and grow those friendships over our middle age when a busy life and changing geographies can cause us to neglect those friends. Today is the day to invest in those people we hope will call us “old friend” in the years to come. – Grant Fairley
© 2013 Dora Isaac Weithers
More by this Author
These contemptuous F-Words are divided into subsections for describing people, animals and things, also for use as verbs. Meanings are added for those who are interested in learning something new.
The quotes begin with lines for our first morning talk with God followed by lines for personal affirmation, then quotes for sharing encouragement and finally reasons to express thanks for the morning.