125 High School English Argument Topics
Argument Essay Topics about Parents
- Should parents give their teenagers an allowance?
- What should teens have to pay for on their own? What should parents pay for?
- How much money do teens need to have to spend?
- Should parents give their teens a car and pay for gas and upkeep? Or is it better for teenagers to work to buy their own car?
- What causes teenagers to rebel against their parents?
- When should parents give their child a phone?
- Do all teenagers need a smartphone? Should parents give them one?
- What kind of curfew should parents set for teenagers? Should the rules change at different ages? How?
- How much housework should high school students be expected to do?
- Should parents be the ones to teach their kids about sex? What topics should they discuss?
- Should parents set rules for how their teenagers dress?
- Should teenagers whose parents are divorced be allowed to choose who they live with? At what age should they be able to choose?
- Should parents have a say in who their teens date?
- What sort of skills are the most important for parents teach their teenagers? (examples: cooking, taking care of a car, cleaning, banking, yard work, house maintenance, emergency medical care etc.)
- Should parents be their children's best friend?
- Is it right for divorced parents to lean on their children for support?
- Should teenagers work to help support the family?
- When should parents allow their children to drop out of school?
- If a teenager becomes pregnant, should her parents encourage her to keep it? Or perhaps adopt the child themselves?
- How should parents be an example to their children?
- If a father earns plenty of money for his family is that enough? Does he owe his children more than that?
- What is the most important thing a mother can give to her children?
- What is the most important thing a father can give to his children?
- How can grandparents best support and help their grandchildren?
- Should parents force their children to participate in sports or other activities?
Which problem do you think worries most teens the most?
How does divorce affect teens?
Argument Essays About Trends
- Why do teens fall in love with celebrities? Or idolize them?
- Why do teens spend so much time playing video games? What makes these games so much fun to play?
- Is playing video games addictive? Is there a point where these games become dangerous?
- Does violence in video gaming cause some people to act out violently? If so, is there something we can do to prevent this?
- Why are the old-style arcade games still so popular?
- Which is the best arcade game to play? Why?
- Is the skating rink still a good place for teens to hang out?
- Why do teens like to go to the mall? What do they do when they go?
- Is it really impolite to ignore a text from a friend? Do you need to text back right away?
- Is it all right to text to ask someone out?
- Is social media becoming more important than face to face communication among teens?
- Should schools allow teens to use their phones and tablets in school?
- What is the best current fashion trend? What is the worst?
- Which current pop star is really a good singer? Or is there a current popular singer you'd like to argue is terrible?
- What is the best way to listen to your favorite music?
- Is hearing your favorite band at a small venue better? Or is there more excitement at a big concert?
- Should you pay money to buy the products of a band or artist you like? How obligated are you to support the artists you listen to?
- Is it ever right to post negative comments or pictures about someone online?
- Is there more bullying in high schools than in the past? Have the things people get bullied about changed?
- Should people under 18 be allowed to get a tattoo?
- Is wearing glasses cooler than it used to be?
- Do guys look better with facial hair?
- Do teenagers today care more about helping out and volunteering than teenagers in the past?
- How can teens help friends who have self-destructive behaviors like eating disorders, cutting or substance abuse?
- Who influences teens the most?
Music Argument Topics
Does playing and singing help teens to deal with emotions and stress? | Source
Argument Topics about School
- How important is it to graduate from high school?
- Should high schools have dress codes?
- How much time should high school students have to spend on home work each day?
- Should there be a hair code for boys in school?
- Are uniforms a good idea for high schools?
- Would it help learning if all students were given an iPad or another tablet?
- Should schools invest in electronic books rather than regular textbooks?
- Do students learn better when they do group projects?
- Should all high school students have to take a foreign language?
- Should schools have a test that all students have to pass in order to graduate?
- Is the GED as good as a high school diploma?
- Should high schools have a daycare so that students who have babies can continue to go to school?
- Should high schools team up with businesses so that some students can do an apprenticeship that leads to job skills instead of an academic degree?
- How important is prom?
- Do high school football players get favored treatment? Is this good or bad?
- How important is it to participate in sports in high school?
- Why is being in band or orchestra a good activity for high school students?
- Can classes like art and music help students emotionally?
- Why should students get involved in speech, debate or theater?
- How can competitions in mathematics, business, robotics or engineering help a student in the future? Should more students participate in these type of clubs or competitions?
- Why should a high school student consider being part of the Future Farmers of America (FAA) club or class?
- How should teachers in high school handle the class clown or the disruptive students?
- Should PDA (personal displays of affection) be allowed in the halls at high school?
- How should lockers be assigned at school?
- Should students be allowed to go off campus for lunch?
Do Teens Really Have Problems?
Argument Topics about Teenage Life
- Should teenagers get a job? What are the advantages? Disadvantages?
- What kind of job is best for people in high school?
- How many hours should teens spend working? How can they best balance school and work?
- How can teenagers best organize their schedule so that they can do well in school and also participate in sports, activities and clubs?
- Are teens today more stressed and pressured than their parents were?
- How important is sleep to teenagers? How much sleep should they get?
- How can teens avoid being pressured to use drugs or drink alcohol?
- How effective are programs like Mothers Against Drunk Driving and other programs that teach students about the dangers of alcohol?
- Why do teens engage in risky behaviors?
- Is the teenage brain different than the brain of adults?
- What causes the most conflict between teens and their parents?
- Are teens today smarter than the previous generation because of their use of technology?
- How does the increase in testing in schools affect teens emotionally?
- What causes teens to try to commit suicide?
- How many friends do teens really need to have?
- Do public high schools help or prevent teens from having good friendships?
- What cliques or groups do teens in your school tend to fall into?
- Is there a way to prevent teenagers from forming social groups and making some kids feel like outcasts?
- Why do most teenagers feel uncomfortable with their bodies?
- Why is the music and styles of their parents (70s to 80s) so popular with teens today? What makes this generation of teens want to be like their parents?
- What skills will this generation need to have as adults that their parents did not need to know?
- What makes a good teenage friendship?
- Is it better to date a lot of different people in high school or to stick with just one relationship?
- Should you date a good friend?
- How can you get out of the "friendship zone" in a relationship?
Images and Argument Topics
Does advertising make teens dissatisfied with their own bodies? | Source
Argument Topics about Teenage Problems
- Is it a good idea to talk about your problems with your friends? Does that really help?
- Why are so many teens so unhappy?
- Are men of this generation as sexist as previous generations?
- Should teenage women be free to ask a guy out on a date?
- Are acne and pimples something you just have to live with? What is the best way to take care of acne?
- What is the thing that causes teens the most stress?
- How does a parent's divorce affect teens?
- What kinds of problems do teenagers have with their friends?
- What if the effect on teens of moving to a new school during high school?
- Is it important to be popular? What should teens do or not do to be liked by others?
- Should parents send troubled teens to a boot camp?
- When should teens intervene to help a friend who is going the wrong direction? What should they do?
- Do adults understand the problems of today's students? Are the teens of today facing more problems and difficulties than their parents faced at the same age?
- How does gossip affect the lives of teens?
- How does having learning problems make high school more difficult?
- Does going to church help teens deal with their problems?
- How do teens today view religion?
- Is it all right for a young woman to want mostly to be a wife and mother?
- How do teens feel about parents, grandparents and other older relatives?
- Who do teens turn to for advice and help?
- Who should teach teens about sex? What do they need to be told?
- Should report cards include a teens Body Mass Index (BMI) as an incentive to help teens keep a healthy weight?
- How should friends and family intervene if they suspect a teen has an eating disorder?
- Should all schools have counselors available for teens to talk to about problems?
- What causes the most conflict in teen friendships?