Sundown Devotional: Who's Holding Your Hand?
As the sun sets on the workweek, Sundown Devotional brings friends together, away from the stressful workplace and hustle and bustle in the streets. We relax, reminisce, reflect and share inspiration from our peaceful meditation on a short Scripture passage. In this New Year session, we focus on divine guidance. Christian or not, we will all be encouraged. Welcome!
Do not be afraid, for I am your God. . . I will hold on to you
with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10 CSB)
During the 2013 Blackout in the Northeastern United States, my daughter worked in New York. When darkness suddenly engulfed the city, she was away from her desk chatting with a co-worker. They held hands and fumbled their way through the exit, without their personal belongings. They walked to the spot where the co-worker and her brother had prearranged to meet in the event of a catastrophe.
My daughter spent the night in a neighboring state, far away from home, without identification, without money or credit card, without a phone; but she was not afraid because she was with someone she trusted, someone who cared enough to hold her hand and guide her to safety.
God has not promised that the path through the New Year will be all bright and clear. There are forces of evil which continually try to darken our way with doubts and deceptions. Dangers, physical and spiritual, threaten at every bend in the road. Phantoms from our past occasionally blind our vision of God’s forgiveness and grace. Still, He tells us not to be afraid, but to trust His victorious right hand.
No situation takes Him by surprise. No territory is unfamiliar to Him. No hostile attack can overpower Him. No chance that He will get tired and loosen His grip. His hand is ready and able to rescue us from pitfalls and to guide us safely through 365 days and beyond. Can you think of anyone, instead of the Omnipotent God,whom you prefer to hold your hand?
Friends are not always available. Bosses seek the same wisdom and strength that we seek. We all need divine guidance. Through personal Bible study, through prayer and meditation, through the exercise of our faith, let God protect and guide us with His strong and loving hand, starting now.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, we pray with thanksgiving for the benefit of Your victorious right hand to guide us safely through the year. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Six Prayers for Divine Guidance
Here is an opportunity to listen in on these six prayers for divine guidance. Feel free to add your “Amen.”
1. “Envelope me oh Lord envelope me
From the storms of life envelope me
That I may see your light as you envelope me
Through the thick and thin of life I beseech
Envelope me oh Lord, envelope me!”
― Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
2. “Heavenly Father, thank You for Your peace that rules my heart. I choose Your peace today and thank You for guiding my every step. I choose to be thankful today and bless You for Your faithfulness. In Jesus Name. Amen.” ― Joel Osteen
3. “Lord Supreme . . .
I cannot walk alone.
I need Your Protection-Light.
Give me the courage to trust the life
Of each unknown hour." ―Sri Chinmoy
4. “Heavenly Father, thank You for Your guidance. Forgive me for getting ahead of Your plans, and help me know when to stop and listen for Your direction. Your ways are perfect, Lord. Thank You for offering gentle grace. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.” ― Kristine Brown
5. "I am lost if you take your hand from me,
I am blind without Thy light to see.
Lord just always to me thy servant be,
Lead me, oh Lord lead me."
6. “Lord, I’m here today with open hands and an open heart, ready to depend on you to help me through the day and all it will bring my way. . . Help me to come to you for guidance, strength, provision and protection. . . Help me live today in a way that brings honor to Your holy name. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.” ― Charles Stanley
Six More Quotes On Divine Guidance
- “Many say they can't get God's guidance, when they really mean they wish He would show them an easier way.”―Winkie Pratney
- “If with a humble heart you seek divine guidance in every trouble and perplexity, His word is pledged that a gracious answer will be given you. And His word can never fail.” ― Ellen White
- “I am nothing but an imperfect being, who is residing on earth with a perfect God as my guidance and protection.” ― Edmond Mbiaka
- “It is not love that keeps us stuck in the past. . . Closure never comes from reflection. It only comes from God's guidance and promptings.” ― Shannon L. Alder
- “God never fails to give us grace and guidance when we trust Him.” ―David P. Jeremiah
- “He that takes truth for his guide, and duty for his end, may safely trust to God's providence to lead him alright.” ―Blaise Pascal
More Sundown Devotionals
- Sundown Devotional: Discipline We Can Love
God's discipline demonstrates His love, His concern and His mercy. It's His way of telling us that He can reach us wherever we are to teach us what we need to learn. It's His offer of a second chance.
- Sundown Devotional: Beyond Human Expectations
"However many blessings we expect from God, His infinite liberality will always exceed all our wishes and our thoughts." (John Calvin) This can be your personal experience.
Questions & Answers
© 2020 Dora Weithers