MsDora, a former teacher and Christian counselor, presents practical Scriptural principles for joyful everyday living.
When bad things happen to good people, God can preserve the good in them while He walks them through the suffering. While He walks, He talks; and those who are listening will hear Him.
We do not intend to downplay the havoc which loss of income can cause. It erodes self-confidence; it disrupts family life; it causes sleepless nights resulting in ill-health; it threatens spirituality and sanity; it can take away material possessions; but the path toward a solution includes fellowship with God who can calm minds and offer the blessing of inner peace.
Sometimes He prompts the sufferer to search His Word for new promises to help replace worry with wisdom, fear with faith and doubt with deliverance. Here are of some of His promises (from the New Living Translation) which enable the job searchers to:
- Exemplify faith and trust,
- Exercise patience,
- Extend generosity (as much as they are able),
- Expect answers.
Exemplify Faith and Trust
1. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."
―Proverbs 3: 5, 6
2. "The Lord says, 'I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.' " ―Psalm 32:8
3. "Even strong young lions sometimes go hungry, but those who trust in the Lord will lack no good thing." ―Psalm 34:10
4. "Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." ―Isaiah 41:10
5. "Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done." ―Philippians 4:6
6. "Don’t put your confidence in powerful people; there is no help for you there. . . The Lord lifts up those who are weighed down. The Lord loves the godly." ―Psalm 146: 3,8
7. "Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you." ―1Peter 5:7
8. "The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words. . . Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning." ―Lamentations 3: 19-23
9. "We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation." ―Romans 5: 3, 4
10. "Evil people get rich for the moment, but the reward of the godly will last." ―Proverbs 11:18
11. "But it is wrong to say God doesn’t listen, to say the Almighty isn’t concerned.You say you can’t see him, but he will bring justice if you will only wait." ―Job 35: 13,14
12. "The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed." ―Proverbs 11:25
13. "But Elijah said to her, 'Don’t be afraid! Go ahead and . . . make a little bread for me first. Then use what’s left to prepare a meal for yourself and your son. For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: There will always be flour and olive oil left in your containers . . .' ” ―1 Kings 17: 13, 14
14. "Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap." ―Luke 6:38
15. "Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful." ―Deuteronomy 8:18
16. "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ―Jeremiah 29:11
17. “I am the Lord, the God of all the peoples of the world. Is anything too hard for me?" ―Jeremiah 32:27
18. "So don’t worry about these things, saying, 'What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?' These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” ―Matthew 25: 31-33
19. "Then call on me when you are in trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory." ―Psalm 50:15
20. ""Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think." ―Ephesians 3:20
Encouragement for the Unemployed (3 Mins)
- Sundown Devotional: God Provides According to His Riches
When our children ask for more help than we can afford, we may forget that our needs are met from God's supply which is available to us. The poem and promises remind us that God has more than enough.
© 2011 Dora Weithers