Lou Tenant writes articles with a focus on mysteries and unexplained phenomen in the search for the truth. Thanks for reading this!
Hollywood is famous for its portrayals of elements of life. Most of the time, though, the way things are portrayed in movies aren’t always how they are in real life. A good example of this when it comes to biblical material is the recent movie “Noah” starring Russell Crowe. Many of the elements in that movie aren’t biblically sound and seem to be somewhat made-up.
So you might be asking then, has Hollywood gotten the concept of guardian angels right? Are guardian angels who actively protect and help us real? As we‘ll see, this is one of the few times you could say Hollywood gets it right, to an extent.
There are a few verses that support the idea of guardian angels-
- Matthew 18:10- “See that you do not look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.”
(Here we see that these “little ones” seem to have personal angels. It is important to note that “little ones” can refer to little children or new believers)
- Psalm 91:11- “For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.” (Another mention of angels being tasked with guardianship)
- Acts 12:1-10- This story recounts Peter’s escape from prison with the help of an angel. On the way back he goes to Mary’s house. When he calls out to the house’s occupants, they disregard his call, saying the sound must be from “his angel.” This gives further proof that the people of the time certainly believed in personal angels.
So with these few passages we see that guardian angels are real and actively protecting believers.
The Bible also talks about another type of guardian angel- principalities.
National Guardians- Principalities
Angels’ guardianship tasks aren‘t only limited to people. Some spiritual beings also have authority over entire nations. The main idea for this can be found in Deuteronomy 32:8 (Make sure you read this in the ESV version for proper translation). One of these angels is the archangel Michael, who was assigned as a protector of Israel. We find this in Daniel 10:21-
- “But I will tell you what is inscribed in the book of truth: there is none who contends by my side against these except Michael, your prince.”
We call these spiritual beings principalities. They are specifically mentioned in Ephesians 6:12, along with the other hierarchies of spiritual powers.
While you may not have ever encountered your guaedian angels, you may have interacted with some- you just didn’t know it.
- Hebrews 13:2- "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained strangers unawares."
I personally find this verse one of the most fascinating verses in the Bible. This is another reason why it is a good idea to help strangers or those you don’t know, you might have just helped an angel!
Knowing that we all have guardian angels who are tasked with maintaining our safety is an awesome thought. It shows how much God cares for each and every believer.
As always, thanks for reading this article. I always appreciate comments too :)