Bible Verses for Those Who Have Lost a Loved One
For Those Who Have Lost a Loved One
The loss of a loved one is already devastating for anyone. When the loss is unexpected, the pain is beyond words. I know this because three years ago, my 19-year-old daughter passed away after an auto accident. My world came crashing down and I was engulfed in a wrenching pain that can only be known by another parent who has lost a child.
In the future, I hope to write more about my daughter and what God has taught me and is still teaching me, about the comfort He has given me, and the peace that is unexplainable. At this point, I can only write on the surface and without detail, but I want to share some Bible verses that have been and continue to be an encouragement for me in hopes that some other grieving mom may be looking for the same comfort and assurance that I searched for in the months following my daughter's accident. I hope these help you as well.
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.
Bible Verses for Those Who Have Lost a Loved One
- Those who have been ransomed by the Lord will return. They will enter Jerusalem singing, crowned with everlasting joy. Sorrow and mourning will disappear, and they will be filled with joy and gladness: Isaiah 51:11
- The young women will dance for joy, and the men --old and young--will join in the celebration. I will turn their mourning into joy. I will comfort them and exchange their sorrow for rejoicing: Jeremiah 31:13
- Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father's home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. And you know the way to where I am going: John 14: 1-4
- I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don't be troubled or afraid: John 14:27
- Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began: John 17:24
- Can anything ever separate us from Christ's love? Does it mean he longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? . . . No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below. Indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord: Romans 8:35 - 39
- No eye has seen no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him: 1 Corinthians 2:9b
- And God will raise us from the dead by his power, just as he raised our Lord from the dead: 1 Corinthians 6:14
- Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong. And do everything with love: 1 Corinthians 16:13
- All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort: 2 Corinthians 1:3
- Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies: 2 Corinthians 4:10
- For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands: 2 Corinthians 5:1
- For we will put on heavenly bodies, we will not be spirits without bodies: 2 Corinthians 5:3
- We would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord: 2 Corinthians 5:8b
- Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus: Philippians 4: 6-7
- And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died: 1 Thessalonians 4:13 - 14
- So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold -- though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world: 1 Peter 1: 6-7
- Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see: Hebrews 11:1
If you have a favorite verse that has helped you in times of trouble, please do share it in the comments!
For Those Who Are Suffering
During the worst days following my daughter's accident, God surrounded me with people who had gone through what I was going through—both in person and online. In fact, some of the greatest comforts for me during that period came from strangers online who are now friends. If you are struggling now, please feel free to contact me. I don't even begin to have answers, but I understand the pain and I will walk beside you and share your grief.
If you are the friend of someone who has lost a loved, please read my article on how to comfort a friend.
This book was sent to me by a stranger. I believe it helped me more than anything else aside from reading the Bible.
All quoted scriptures are from the New Living Translation.