10 of My Favorite Quotes
I am a bit of a quote fanatic. I have quotes written on scraps of paper stuffed into my purse, scrawled onto my school work, saved into my phone’s notepad, and so on. Here are ten of my favorite quotes and why I love them, in no particular order.
1) “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” –Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Ayn Rand is hit or miss for most people. Personally I love her work and Atlas Shrugged is one of my favorite books. There are many powerful quotes in the novel, however this quote resonates strongly with me (and many others). I love this quote because it supports the individual. Atlas Shrugged revolves around Rand’s idea of objectivism, the philosophy that a man’s purpose in life is his own happiness and productivity. The quote above captures this idea by saying that you must live for your own sake and no one else’s.
2) “I’ve loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.” –Galileo Galilei
I love this quote so much that I have it tattooed on my back. To be completely honest I don’t know what this quote meant to Galileo, but I do know what it means to me. For me this quote is about finding light in the darkest of places. If you truly love something then you will be able to overcome your fears in order to achieve what it is you love.
3) “Sleep in the stars, don't you cry, dry your eyes on the wind.” –Grateful Dead, Bird Song
The Grateful Dead is one of my favorite bands. This is a beautiful song and if you haven’t heard it you should really go YouTube it right away. This song is about people passing on. It is very full of sorrow but at the same time hopeful.
4) “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” –St. Augustine
I have been fortunate enough to travel to several foreign countries before the age of 21. Each trip has been such a learning experience and I encourage everyone to go abroad at least once. Even if you do not love where you travel to you will at the very least gain a new appreciation for your home.
5) “Once in the midst of a seemingly endless winter, I discovered within myself an invincible spring.” –Albert Camus (If anyone has more information on where this quote is from it would be much appreciated!)
This quote gives me chills every time I read it. If I am having a particularly bad day/week/month/whatever, I read this and remember how much strength I have within myself to pull through.
6) “There are times when life calls out for a change. A transition. Like the seasons. Our spring was wonderful, but summer is over now and we missed out on autumn. And now all of a sudden, it's cold, so cold that everything is freezing over. Our love fell asleep, and the snow took it by surprise. But if you fall asleep in the snow, you don't feel death coming.” –Paris, je t’aime (translated from French)
This quote has a deep personal significance to me (warning this may get mushy). It is the perfect description of my first love. A love as intense as the summer, but suddenly it is winter and the love has frozen; yet I never felt the gradual cooling of autumn. This quote is so beautifully worded that I can’t even compare it to anything really. It speaks for itself.
7) “What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness.” –Leo Tolstoy
Too often people idolize others for the wrong reason, such as their appearance. Just because a person is attractive does not mean they are a moral, kind, and compassionate human being. Upper further inspection, yes, they may be all those things; however you cannot assume someone is good just because they look good.
8) “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” –J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (Albus Dumbledore)
Dreams are great and everyone should have them, but you cannot let them control your life. You should never stop chasing your dreams; you just have to find a way to go after them while still living in the present and making the most of what you have at the time.
9) “The tree that does not bend with the wind will be broken by the wind.” –Chinese Proverb
In life you have to “go with the flow”. If you are too set in your ways you will be overstressed and overworked and end up reaching your breaking point. Be willing to listen to other’s ideas and change your ways of thinking.
10) “I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy…myself.” –Sioux Prayer
I believe you should aim to be better than your former self, not better than your peers. Focusing on improving yourself rather than besting others will give you a fulfilling life.
I Would Love to Hear Your Favorite Quotes
Please share them in the comments!