Brittany is a self-published poet, blogger, freelance writer, and book reviewer who lives in South Carolina.
The Importance of Thanksgiving
November is a month many people express their reasons to be thankful. I've seen challenges where people give one reason a day during the month of November of why they are thankful. While this is a great exercise, I'm a huge fan of giving thanks all year long. There are many small victories to be celebrated throughout the day, and it's important we never forget this. As human beings, it is natural for us to want more to our lives we are currently living. For example, I live near the beach. The beach is an environment many people wish to be nearby. Not me. I enjoy the atmosphere of the mountains. In fact, I dream about the day when I can move to the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. The atmosphere is quite different from the beach. I've dreamed about living in a mountain environment for so long that sometimes I catch myself being depressed that I cannot make the move. This dream sometimes puts me in a frame of mind that I am not in my best spot. When in actuality, I am in a great place. I've met many wonderful people whether through church, local authors in my area, and strong friendships that have turned into family. I wouldn't have these connections if I moved away. Also, as much as I yearn for mountain living, the beach is just as much of an anxiety free zone. I can choose to walk along the sand and hear the ocean waves crash upon shore as often as I like. Not many people can say that. Remember my hub regarding a simple life? It got me thinking about what the bible says about thankfulness. Before we get to poetry, I would like to list a few versus I found that expresses the importance of thanksgiving.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
- Isiah 12:4-5 (NASB) And on that day you will say, "Give thanks to the Lord, call on His name. Make His deeds among the peoples; make them remember that His name is exalted." Praise the Lord in song, for he has done glorious things; let this be known throughout the earth.
- James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
- 1 Chronicles 16:34 (ESV) Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His steadfast love endures forever!
- Hebrews 12:28 Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our "God is a consuming fire."
- Ephesians 5:18-20 (NASB) ...but be filled with the spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your hearts to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to our God and Father.
A Poem on Thankfulness
November is a time for Thanksgiving
This month brings people together with loving hearts
Animosity is forgiving
A new season starts
People remember blessings throughout the year
Thanking God for their days
Holding out hands with a listening ear
Some sing songs with joy and praise
Thanksgiving makes the heart grow large
Compassion comes about
We take this time to bond and recharge
No need to cling to hate or shout
The feeling of thankfulness brings me peace
I'm grateful I'm not alone
Happiness slowly will increase
Because of thanksgiving I show at home