I love poetry. I am a lifestyle enthusiast and like to write articles and poems on lifestyle changes that benefit people.
Word Prompts Help Creativity-Response to Brenda's Word Prompt Week 40 and Week 41
Our dear friend and a wonderful poet has kept up her commitment in spite of many challenges, to encourage us writers on HubPages to try and create something interesting by giving us word prompts. She gave us the word prompt ‘Boredom’ for week 40 and the word prompt ‘Shopping’ for week 41. I have combined both the word prompts in this poem. Brenda, I hope you like my poem. I also hope that my other Hubber friends like it too.
I love shopping. There is a little bit of magic found in buying something new. It is instant gratification, a quick fix.”
— Rebecca Bloom
Spending during the festival seasons is inevitable. One cannot avoid it. It is the time of the year when the family celebrates together and there is an air of celebration and happiness all around. Shopping is an essential part of festive revelries.
Often when we are bored and just surf through advertisements and notifications on our phone, we get tempted to buy things that we see. But when the shopping and spending gets out of control and we indulge in buying things that we do not need, just to get over a sad phase or mood, it can be problematic. We slowly become addicted to the habit and turn out to be shopaholics. This condition is a cause for concern as it is an expensive hobby and can drain us of our money and time.
This type of compulsive shopping can only give a temporary joy but leave us feeling worse later. This type of spending addiction should be nipped in the bud. Though it is difficult to overcome this addiction, it is not impossible. A firm resolve and grit can help one get over this habit.
I shop, therefore I am
— Heather Chandler, Heathers
Methods to Curb Shopping Addiction
- When you feel tempted to buy something that catches your attention, just pause and think whether you really need it or not. Make a resolve not to buy things that you don’t need.
- Think of all the good things you can do with the savings by avoiding unnecessary shopping, like travelling to new places, enjoying holidays and vacations with family. Meeting new friends. Developing new hobbies.
- Being debt free and seeing savings grow with no worries of the future. Creating an emergency fund is so much better than indulging in impulsive spending. Securing the future also leads to less stress.
- The root cause of the shopping addiction is often to escape negative emotions like boredom, anxiety, sadness, insecurity which should be first addressed to control the addiction. There are other positive methods to deal with such issues.
- Removing the triggers like notifications can help in controlling the addiction. Avoid watching advertisements as they are often the triggers for the unnecessary buying.
- Resolve not to buy new clothing for a particular period, say till your next birthday. And when you do buy clothes after that you will feel much more excited and happy.
Buy what you don’t have yet or what you really want, which can be mixed with what you already own. Buy only because something excites you, not just for the simple act of shopping
— Karl Lagerfeld
- Avoiding going to malls or surfing online stores and deleting shopping apps helps to curb the shopping impulse. Unsubscribing from store notifications and emails is the best way to avoid unnecessary spending.
- Making a list of items that attract your attention and waiting for some days. After that period the urge to buy would have diminished. Such items can be deleted from the list, saving the money.
- Making a budget always helps in determining how much to spend and save. The surplus can always be used for extra spending. This helps in overcoming the feeling that you are depriving yourself.
- Keeping the goals in mind before spending on an impulse always help curb the desire to spend. Always ask whether it is really required and whether it will impact your minimalistic goals.
Summary of ther Poem
This poem is about a girl who is a shopaholic. She shops when she gets bored. The heat of summer or the cold of winter do not deter her. For her shopping is therapeutic. Her friends wonder whether she does not get bored of shopping. For which she replies that they will never know the joy of shopping unless they have shopped like her.
She is a true shopaholic
And for her it is therapeutic
Boredom she knows not ever
Shopping is her endeavor.
The summer heat or winter cold
Will not deter her, she is so bold
Holding big shopping bags aloft
She treads from shop to shop.
Year end sale, end of season sale
Black Friday sale, she knows them all
And when she is sad or feels alone
The words sale sale makes her bloom.
At the mall or a side alley stall
She's been there and seen them all
She is energetic and never gets tired
And wishes to be always admired.
Don’t you get bored of shopping
Her friends often wonder and ask
Not movies, not games, nor parties
Only shopping puts her heart at ease.
You will never know the absolute joy
That lifts the spirit and lets you enjoy
Till you have shopped as much as me
Says she to her friends with much glee.
She is beyond help her friends decide
She is addicted and she cannot hide
She thinks that it makes her iconic
There is no cure for a shopaholic.
© 2021 VIDYA D SAGAR