Today is My Birthday
Since it’s my 27th birthday I wanted to reflect on some lessons I’ve learned so far. Especially because 2019 has been one of my craziest years. I’ve learned a lot and emotionally matured in many ways and I’m glad life did a complete 360 on me and brought me back to square one. I was able to rebuild myself and my life and now I’m in a better place.
So, here’s a list of 27 things that I’ve learned and I’m sure you’ll have learned too.
- You can’t plan out your life because it’s too unpredictable.
- Most relationships come and go, don’t have regrets and don’t be bitter. Let go with love and compassion.
- Saying no to people is harder than it sounds but learn to do it.
- Live your life how you want, don’t follow other people’s rules about how to live life.
- Not everyone is going to like or accept you. It sucks but it’s going to be okay.
- Don’t be afraid to love. Yes, it can hurt but love is worth it, especially with the right person.
- You wanna eat that whole plate of food then do it. Life is too short, so from time to time indulge in life’s guilty pleasures.
- Self-care is a top priority. You come first, so check in on yourself regularly.
- Be grateful for all the good things in your life. Gratitude is the best attitude to have.
- Move away from your home town, even if it is only for a few months. You will learn so much about yourself and gain self-confidence.
- Don't rely on anyone else but yourself for happiness.
- Stop talking shit about yourself and be kind, seriously.
- Have fun and laugh more often.
- It’s okay to repeat mistakes a couple of times, just make sure you learn from them.
- Let people know how you feel about them today because tomorrow may never come.
- Take risks, it could lead you to something amazing.
- Failure isn’t the end result, it’s just a lesson learned.
- Everything and everyone changes, some more than others and that is a good thing. Change is growth.
- Pursue your passions!
- Exercise, read more often and get creative.
- You don’t need other people to validate your self-worth.
- Rejection is just redirection.
- Embrace your quirks, some people are bound to like them.
- You don’t need to be happy all the time, it’s okay to feel down sometimes.
- Try to be a little more compassionate, you don’t know what is going on in other people’s lives.
- Learn to trust your intuition more often.
- Fall in love with yourself first before you fall for anyone else.
Elise (author) from Melbourne on November 19, 2019:
I genuinely feel that I have learned all of this, especially this year. This is just my style of writing. Obviously I will learn more as I grow and I will learn these things in different ways but I believe I have learned a lot.
Eric Dierker from Spring Valley, CA. U.S.A. on November 19, 2019:
No you have not. Or you would not write about it in this fashion. If you think you have learned these things then wait until 50 years old. You will learn that you learned nothing at 27.
Elise (author) from Melbourne on November 17, 2019:
Thank you Juliet :)
Juliet Acedera from Valenzuela City on November 17, 2019:
Hi happy 27th birthday to you! May God bless you more. I really enjoy reading those 27 lessons that you wrote here. Enjoy your big day and happy birthday again.