Author, Audrey Hunt, believes we are all uniquely talented. She shares six tools for changing our belief system.
You Are The Only One Of It's Kind
There has been only one Beethoven, one Michelangelo, one Churchill, one Da Vinci, one Gandhi -- and there is only one you.
You Are a Diamond, Unique and Brilliant
Look at you! Just think - you are the only one of its kind. You are without an equal or equivalent. You are unparalleled! If hearing this isn't enough to get your motor revved up, I don't know what will.
Regardless of the kind of hand life deals you - obstacles of unimaginable proportion can make you stronger and increase your compassion. You are molded into a diamond of uniqueness with abilities and strengths you could never discover otherwise.
You are not defective, and you are not flawed. You are a masterpiece. You are not meant to be like someone else. You are meant to be different, and this difference is a gift to you and you only.
It's time to unveil your uniqueness. Let's get started.
Six Qualities (Tools) To Bring About Change
To recognize our abilities, it helps to possess certain qualities. Think of these qualities as tools. Let's take a look at six of the most effective, strong qualities:
- Being positive. Are you a half empty or half full kind of person? If you see the glass as half full you are sure to find more unique qualities within you. The potential within you is limitless and, for the most part, untapped.
- Believe in yourself. Your beliefs control everything you do. If you expect to fail, you most probably will, which is why we need support from others. Believe in your mission in life. Believe that you can accomplish your goals. Whatever abilities and talents you have will not be discovered and reach the highest level unless you believe in yourself.
- Keep good company. Surround yourself with people you admire. Negative, critical people drain your energy and add darkness to your life. Choose to spend time with those that see the potential in you and speak highly of you.
- Don't compare yourself with others. Instead, focus on your talents and abilities and make the most of those. You may not have what they have, but neither do they have what you have. You don't need a bigger diamond. Just keep polishing the one you have.
- Focus on your strengths, not your weaknesses. If writing is your strength, then work on it continually. Study everything you can about writing. Never become complacent. We never stand still. We either move forward, or we move backward. Fretting about your weaknesses will only prevent you from doing your best with the strengths you have.
- Use failure as a motivating force. Being determined is the best way to overcome failure. Failure is just a word. It is your thinking that labels it as "bad." Be resilient and able to bounce back regardless of how you feel. Learn how to profit from your losses.
Unveil Your Uniqueness
"The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique."
You Are Enough
You are a unique creation, and your abilities are also unique. What does it mean to be unique? Let's start by reading what Mr.Webster's definition of this word is. He defines unique as "being the only one." Amazing! There is only one of you and only one of me.
For the next few minutes, let's expand on the word unique. What are some of the ways we define our uniqueness? How do we use it - or do we? Can we as individuals change our own lives as we begin to recognize the power and magnificence of being unique?
You Have Endless Abilities and Talents
How To Discover Your Unique Abilities
A unique person is the opposite of average, dull, or boring; There is no one like you. You are one-of-a-kind. You are an original. You are unmatched. You are exclusive.
To be unique, you must be yourself and not someone's idea of what you should be. You can't be yourself if you don't like yourself, so maybe it's time to work on some self-love.
"I believe in me. I am a diamond, and it's time to shine."
Repeat the above quote three times. Each time you repeat the section, you'll begin to feel more assertive about the message.
Liking yourself is a powerful tool for discovering and then using your unique abilities. "But I don't have any unique abilities," you say." Ah, but you certainly do. Those abilities are there deep inside of you and waiting to be discovered. Don't try too hard to find these gifts. Be still and listen. They will appear.
Here is an exercise I'd like you to try:
- Visualize a large diamond buried deep within a cave (you.). Diamonds are found in mines, craters, and caves. In this case, you are the mine or shelter, and a diamond is resting deep within you.
- Unless you put forth effort and determination, along with a strong desire, your diamond will remain undiscovered and useless. It will help if you put forth action.
- Just like mining for diamonds, if you keep trying and dig deep enough, you will begin to see a faint sparkle. Is that a diamond? Could it be? You'll never know unless you dig deeper and deeper. Your abilities are like diamonds. Once you recognize that what you have is an ability, the next step is to dust it off and polish it repeatedly.
As you continue to polish your diamond, the sparkle will ignite and blaze brighter and brighter. It will become a prominent part of you, and others will see it. This is how you let your light shine and glorify the one who gave you these abilities.
Say Goodbye To Fear
I have always appreciated Emerson's quote about fear: "Fear is a cruel thief who comes in the night and robs us of success just when it's within our reach" How true this is. And because it is, we must practice how to conquer fear.
If our lives are bound by fear, we cease to grow and become all we could be. We are stuck in our comfort zone and never take risks. We dare not change, and yet without change, there is no growth. Facing our fears takes courage. We have to be willing to let go of the familiar to be courageous. Expanding on our level of bravery creates greatness. Greatness and bravery will overcome fear.
Develop a high level of faith in yourself. This will be the foundation for overcoming fear. Learn to identify your concerns. The things that scare us as children may still be lurking somewhere. If you can identify those fears, you will find it easier to release them.
The biggest fear most of us have is the fear of the unknown.
You can be the difference that this world needs. Set a new standard. Dare to be different. Dare to be you.
Others don't determine what your destiny will be. They haven't a clue about what's in you. Don't allow anyone to keep you from being who you are.
Start dreaming again. Start believing again and start hoping again. Let your light sparkle and shine.
Believe in Yourself
Do You Consider Your Own Needs?
© 2012 Audrey Hunt