Charléa is a third year medical student and has embraced the tips shared in her own life to experience emotional healing and wholeness.
In this life, we go through highs and lows. We endure stress and uncertainty; failure of a relationship or loss of a job. The pressure can feel overwhelming at times, and we give in to the expression "when it rains, it pours." Sometimes we don't know how we will make it through. It can be hard to see the top of the mountain when the clouds are blocking the view.
It is easy to wonder how we will get by or how difficult situations will turn. I realized that it’s easy for one thought to take us into a downward spiral and it can feel impossible to get out. We have to choose the positive things so we don't end up in the swirl of negativity.
I'm sure most people have said some of these: What’s the point of trying? I’m exhausted. It won’t make a difference. No matter what I do, it’s not good enough. I don’t care anymore. When will the pain stop?
To the ones who feel like breaking; the ones who feel crushed by life, I’m not here to tell you to suck it up or just move on. I want to tell you it's safe to feel and acknowledge your emotions. Think of a soda bottle. The built up pressure can make it spout uncontrollably and the same with our emotions if we allow them to build pressure in our hearts and minds by leaving them unresolved. The reality is, we have been programmed to attempt to be strong all the time, to the point that some of us never learn to acknowledge how we feel, fail to develop healthy coping mechanisms and repeat cycles of emotional dysfunction.
- When you feel like you cannot make it through the twists and turns of life, taking a deep breath is a simple but good first step.
- Acknowledge what you are feeling. Be patient with yourself and take time to figure out your emotions.
- Allow yourself to process the fullness of your emotions. You don't have to bury them.
- Consider getting support from an expert. Therapy and counseling are available resources to us. Additionally, speak to a trusted person.
- Do the activities that make you feel joy.
When you feel like breaking, allow yourself to. Nobody has it all figured out, despite the show we put on for the world. In the breaking, though, remember that repair is possible. The breaking doesn’t have to be the end of the story.