What is "exploration"?
"Exploration" is a noun defined as the action of traveling in or through an unfamiliar area in order to learn about it.
With this definition in mind, who is to say that everyday is not an adventure? Do we really have to get onto a vessel to carry or fly us across an ocean? Or take crazy amounts of time off of work for a vacation that we are having a hard time affording? Everyday we are bombarded with information that implies that we are boring or need "x, y, and z" to be an adventurer. Sorry, but not sorry to burst your bubble, but this is not the case. Our own "back yards" and everyday lives hold the potential - it is a learned practice.
Allow the little things to amaze you!
My Top Five
- Smiling at a Stranger - As an urban dweller it is very difficult for me to get out of the mindset "stranger danger", but most of all being afraid of initiating unwanted attention. Smiling at a Stranger is something that I choose to practice in environments where I do not feel like there could be a high chance of anxiety or discomfort in practicing this behavior.
- Taking a Walk - Whether it is overcast or sunny, hot or cold, I take my dog for a walk. It is so easy to get sucked into the vortex of the indoors, but taking that time and hanging out with the elements does wonders for my mood and body.
- Hugs - "Hugs Heal" is probably my favorite mantra. Good day, bad day it does not matter hugs are great for the heart. There is something about a good bear hug from a friend or loved one that allows something to surrender. Allows the curious child that lives inside to feel safe and comforted. Everyone's boundaries are different so, I am not saying go and hug everybody - ask if you're unsure! Need a hug but nobody is around? Hug a pillow, a cat, a dog, a tree - a good hug goes a long way.
- Looking at the Sky - There is nothing like looking up and allowing yourself to be in awe of the magic above. Feeling small can never feel so good when there are marshmallow clouds floating across a perfect blue sky or a full moon with a sky full of stars. Let your breath be taken away by the sheer beauty.
- Learning - Whether we like it or not, we are always students. There is so much knowledge and information that we have access to. So many stories of those near and far to us. Read, research, be curious, question, listen, look, feel, and most of all absorb. There is something to be learned around every corner. A very wise person, my father, has told me many times since I was a child, "knowledge is something that 'they' can never take away from you".
Where to Find Adventure?
It is not easy. To me, it defiantly takes effort depending on your personality and/or what kind of day you're having.
Personally, I go back and forth between needing to share an adventure and solo trips. Just trust yourself - it is much easier said than done, but it will be okay. I promise. Pull up good ol' Google and take some notes on possible destinations that are near and far. Write down some questions that pertain to your current situation.
Some of these questions could include: What is affordable? Do I want/need to make this trip alone? How much time do I have to realistically enjoy this? etc.
Not in the mood to plan an adventure? It's all good! (I don't blame you - planning is way too stressful sometimes.) Instead maybe take a different path home from work, go to a different grocery store, try a new park to throw the frisbee to your dog, try a new recipe for dinner, etc. The list is endless, but it is not always easy to see.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Thank you for taking the time and stopping by. I would love to chat with you and hear about your exploration thoughts! Leave your words in the comments section and I will get back to you!
Until next time - peace out girl scouts <3
© 2018 Roxanne Anderson