50 Good Night Quotes From the Bible
While most people sleep at night, others remain awake counting sheep. Still others are confronted with life-changing experiences during the night, as referenced in some of the following Bible quotes from the New Living Translation. Adopt a verse or two for personal reflection and a good night experience.
General Nighttime Facts
- He made all the stars—the Bear and Orion, the Pleiades and the constellations of the southern sky (Job 9:9)
- He [God] speaks in dreams, in visions of the night, when deep sleep falls on people as they lie in their beds (Job 33:15).
- The heavens proclaim the glory of God...night after night they make him known (Psalm 19:2).
- The Lord merely spoke, and the heavens were created. He breathed the word, and all the stars were born (Psalm 33:6).
- You [God] send the darkness, and it becomes night, when all the forest animals prowl about (Psalm 104:20).
- Indeed, he who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps (Psalm 121:4).
- It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night...for God gives rest to his loved ones (Psalm 127:2).
- By his knowledge the deep fountains of the earth burst forth, and the dew settles beneath the night sky (Proverbs 3:20).
- You can go to bed without fear; you will lie down and sleep soundly...for the Lord is your security (Proverbs 3:24, 26).
- People who work hard sleep well, whether they eat little or much. But the rich seldom get a good night’s sleep (Ecclesiastes 5:12).
- In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe (Psalm 4:8).
- When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers—the moon and the stars you set in place—what are ...human beings that you should care for them? (Psalm 8: 3, 4)
- I will bless the Lord who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me (Psalm 16:7).
- You have tested my thoughts and examined my heart in the night...I am determined not to sin in what I say (Psalm 17:3).
- I lie awake thinking of you, meditating on you through the night (Psalm 63:6).
- I stay awake through the night, thinking about your promise (Psalm 119:148).
- Give thanks to him who made the heavenly lights—and the moon and stars to rule the night (Psalm 136: 7, 9).
- Who created all the stars? He brings them out like an army, one after another, calling each by its name (Isaiah 40:26).
- I could ask the darkness to hide me and the light around me to become night—but even in darkness I cannot hide from you (Psalm 139:11,12).
- The remnant of Israel will do no wrong ... will eat and sleep in safety, and no one will make them afraid (Zephaniah 3;13).
Do you read or recite a Bible verse at bedtime?
Songs in the Night
- David sang this song to the Lord..."O Lord, you are my lamp. The Lord lights up my darkness" (2 Samuel 22: 1, 29).
- And each morning and evening they stood before the Lord to sing songs of thanks and praise to him (1 Chronicles 23: 30).
- The prophet Jeremiah composed funeral songs for Josiah, and to this day choirs still sing these sad songs (2 Chronicles 35:25).
- Do not long for the cover of night ...Instead, glorify his mighty works, singing songs of praise (Job 36: 20, 24).
- But each day the Lord pours his unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing his songs (Psalm 42:8).
- I think of the good old days ... when my nights were filled with joyful songs (Psalm 77: 5, 6).
- Oh, praise the Lord, all you servants of the Lord, you who serve at night in the house of the Lord (Psalm 134:1).
- Let the faithful rejoice that he honors them. Let them sing for joy as they lie on their beds (Psalm 149:5).
- When it was evening, Jesus sat down at the table with the Twelve...Then they sang a hymn and went out to the Mount of Olives (Matthew 26:20,30).
- Around midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God and the other prisoners were listening (Acts 16: 25).
Significant Nighttime Events
- At sundown he [Jacob] arrived at a good place...and stopped there for the night...He dreamed of a stairway that reached from the earth up to heaven...He named that place Bethel [which means “house of God”] (Genesis 28: 11, 12, 19).
- So Jacob worked seven years to pay for Rachel. But that night...Laban took Leah to Jacob...Jacob raged at Laban. “Why have you tricked me?” (Genesis 29: 20, 23, 25)
- At midnight, the Lord struck down all the firstborn sons in the land of Egypt (Exodus 12:29).
- The manna came down on the camp with the dew during the night (Numbers 11:9).
- The night before Peter was to be placed on trial ...the angel struck him on the side to awaken him and said, “Quick! Get up!” And the chains fell off his wrists...So Peter left the cell, following the angel (Acts 12: 6,7,9
6. Then Joshua secretly sent out two spies from the Israelite camp at Acacia Grove...So the two men set out and came to the house of a prostitute named Rahab and stayed there that night (Joshua 2;1).
7. Samuel was sleeping in the Tabernacle near the Ark of God...And the Lord came and called as before, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel replied, “Speak, your servant is listening” (1 Samuel 3: 2, 10).
8. One night during the second year of his reign, Nebuchadnezzar had such disturbing dreams that he couldn’t sleep...That night the secret was revealed to Daniel in a vision (Daniel 2: 1, 19).
9. Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, Peter—this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.” ... A little later...Peter swore..."I don’t know the man!” And immediately the rooster crowed (Matthew 26: 34, 73).
10. There was a man named Nicodemus, a Jewish religious leader who was a Pharisee. After dark one evening, he came to speak with Jesus...Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God” (John 3:1-3).
- The Lord, the Light of Israel, will be a fire; the Holy One will be a flame...burning up the enemy in a single night (Isaiah 10:17).
- Desert animals will mingle there with hyenas, their howls filling the night...and night creatures will come there to rest (Isaiah 34:14).
- Darkness as black as night covers all the nations of the earth, but the glory of the Lord rises and appears over you (Isaiah 60: 2).
- No longer will you need the sun to shine by day, nor the moon to give its light by night, for the Lord your God will be your everlasting light (Isaiah 6019).
- You know the saying, "Red sky at night means fair weather tomorrow" (Matthew 16:2).
- He [the master] may come in the middle of the night (Luke 12:38).
- That night two people will be asleep in one bed; one will be taken, the other left (Luke 17:34).
- The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here (Romans 13:12).
- Its [New Jerusalem's) gates will never be closed at the end of day because there is no night there (Revelation 21:25).
- And there will be no night there—no need for lamps or sun—for the Lord God will shine on them (Revelation 22:5).
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Dora Weithers