Sarah is a yoga teacher, custom framer, babysitter, and artist. She loves painting and spending time with her rat, gerbil, and hamster.
A Fresh Start
The morning is a very special time of day with a certain fresh and clear quality. Nothing has happened yet and you are facing a new day full of possibility and potential. I find that the way I begin each day influences how the rest of my day will go. If you are rushed in the morning, the rest of the day seems to feel tight and compressed. However, if you take a moment for yourself each morning, you will soon realize that you have the power to set the tone for the rest of your day.
"With a new day comes new strength and new thoughts." ― Eleanor Roosevelt
“Today is a new day. Don't let your history interfere with your destiny! Let today be the day you stop being a victim of your circumstances and start taking action towards the life you want. You have the power and the time to shape your life. Break free from the poisonous victim mentality and embrace the truth of your greatness. You were not meant for a mundane or mediocre life!” ― Steve Maraboli
Start Your Day Inspired
“Greet every morning with open arms and say thanks every night with a full heart. Each day is a precious gift to be savored and used, not left unopened and hoarded for a future that may never come.” – Regina Brett
“She woke up every morning with the option of being anyone she wished. How beautiful it was that she always chose herself.”– Tyler Kent White
“There is a morning inside you waiting to burst open into light.” – Rumi
“Now that your eyes are open, make the sun jealous with your burning passion to start the day. Make the sun jealous or stay in bed.” – Malak El Halabi
“Wake in the morning with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.”– Kahlil Gibran
“Every day I am inspired by what’s possible.” – Maynard
“The sun is a daily reminder that we too can rise again from the darkness, that we too can shine our own light.” – S. Ajna
“For each new morning let there be flow of love. Let there be light of happiness in every direction.”― Amit Ray
There are many things you can do to each morning that will help you to make the most of each day. Here is a list of suggestions that you can pick and choose from to encourage a more calm and peaceful beginning. They won't take long, only a few minutes, but you will notice a difference. Even waking up just a tad bit earlier to make some "me time" for yourself can benefit you more than the extra sleep.
- Set an intention for the day and write it down on a scrap piece of paper. Keep it in your pocket and look at if often or place it in a spot that you will see, perhaps next to your work computer. This intention can be as general or specific as you like. For example, your intention could be to simply be in each moment and remember to breathe.
- Drink a cup of coffee, tea, or water mindfully. This means that instead of gulping down your coffee as you rush out the door, you take the time to sit and savor every sip. Listen to the sound of your cup being filled. Notice the smell of your drink, how it tastes on your tongue, and how it feels as you swallow. Take your time.
- Eat breakfast and savor it. Making the time to sit down for your first meal is extremely important. You probably don't need me to tell you that there are many benefits to eating breakfast. Before you begin eating consider for a moment where your food came from and be thankful for the nourishment it will give you. Make eating breakfast a sensory experience by noticing the colors, flavors, smells, textures, and sounds of your food as you eat.
- Mediate for 1 to 5 minutes. With everything zooming by at high speeds around us it can be difficult to sit still. Begin by sitting in a comfortable position for just one good minute. Now simply observe your thoughts without judgment. You can also concentrate on your breathing. If it helps you can think to your self "breathing in I am breathing in, breathing out I smile."
- Move around. Think of how children move, wild and free. Spin in circles, jump around, skip, or dance. You may find that the energy this gives you will soon replace your morning cup of coffee! Yoga or other gentle exercise work great as well.
- Wake up early if you can. If you live with others, whether it be roommates or family, you may know how hard it is to find a quiet moment for yourself. By waking up before anyone else, you allow you to be the one to set your mood and not anyone else! Enjoy the peace and remember to use this time for you, not catching up on work.
- Write a to do list. Doing this will allow you to get everything you have to do that day out of you head and down on paper. Feel that satisfaction as you cross out what you accomplish during the day. Instead of simply writing out your obligations, tasks, and chores, write one or two things that will be fun or relaxing for you. This could be taking a short walk or soaking in the tub!
Seize the Day
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.” – George Eliot
“Make each day your masterpiece.” – John Wooden
“Someday is not a day of the week.” – Denise Brennan-Nelson
“Either you run the day, or the day runs you.” – Jim Rohn
“The best dreams happen when you’re awake.” – Cherie Gilderbloom
Sarah (author) from Pennsylvania on September 14, 2020:
Thank you! I am glad you enjoy them!
Bigsunny on July 18, 2020:
Yanglish on May 17, 2016:
Those are great morning quotes, that I really enjoyed reading.
Trendingtop5 on November 13, 2015:
Charming ! I agree with Pooh :)
Julie K Henderson on March 28, 2015:
Very nice! I like your suggestions, especially the one about paying attention as you sip a cup of water, tea, or coffee.
Adelphia on January 02, 2015:
Haelllujah! I needed this-you're my savior.
Ann Carr from SW England on September 12, 2014:
This is a great hub full of superb advice and I love your illustrations and quotes.
Your practicality is so supportive. I find that my mood can be affected so quickly first thing in the morning. I wake up feeling refreshed then the first thing to hit my senses can either enforce or destroy that!
It's true that we should set our own mood and agenda for the day.
Sarah (author) from Pennsylvania on May 05, 2014:
@teaches12345 Thank you! Meditation and prayer are certainly excellent tools any time of day. :)
Dianna Mendez on May 04, 2014:
Good thoughts for starting a morning with positive energy. I enjoy a cup of coffee while meditating and praying each morning. It just gets me going on a good note.
Sarah (author) from Pennsylvania on April 22, 2014:
@bravewarrior Thank you very much! I hope your positive morning extends into a positive day each and every day!
Shauna L Bowling from Central Florida on April 22, 2014:
Excellent motivational piece! I should have read this at the beginning of the day rather than the end. Nevertheless, it gives me a positive jump start to tomorrow. Great job!
Sarah (author) from Pennsylvania on April 21, 2014:
@THarman7 thank you for your kind words! May you begin each day with a happy heart!
Terry Harman from Lacey Washington on April 21, 2014:
I love your hub its so full of inspiration and good minded sayings. I try to use inspirational music, and quotes, as well as sayings everyday to keep myself upbeat, and happy. Thank you for sharing!