Darleen Barnard is Certified Health Coach and Certified Personal Trainer who specializes in weight loss by using the power of the mind.
There is always something to be thankful for
Never let all the things you want, make you forget the things you have
When asked if my cup is half full or half empty, my only response is that I am thankful I have a cup
If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get
-Frank A Clark
Happiness is a Choice
Choose your thoughts wisely because your thoughts shape the person you are. Your thoughts also determine your happiness. I used to think that happiness “just happened” and it only happened for those who were fortunate enough to “have it all”. I now realize that happiness is a choice and the thoughts that I CHOOSE determines my emotions – happiness, sadness, anger, or frustration.
None of us are immune to bad days and none of us are immune to bad experiences. Life is a series of ups and downs and how we ride that roller coaster will determine the life we live. None of us have any control over our beginning in life, but we all have control over the end.
How To Be Happy
So how can we make wiser choices? How can we remember to focus on what is going right in our life instead of what isn’t?
- Make the choice to be happy! It sounds simple right? It actually is. Remind yourself that happiness isn't automatic, happiness isn’t a result. Rather, happiness is a choice, and you will choose to be happy!
- Be thankful. At least once per day, thank God for all you have. Start a thankfulness journal. Every night before you go to bed, jot down a few things that happened during the day that you are thankful for.
- Every time a negative thought comes into your mind, replace it with a positive one. When you think to yourself, I wish I had “X”, remind yourself of all you DO have! When you think to yourself, my spouse can be so inconsiderate sometimes, remind yourself of all the times your spouse was there for you when you needed him/her.
- Learn how to forgive. Bitterness and resentment can suck the happiness right out of us. None of us go through life without feeling taking advantage of, hurt by someone else, or angry with another person at some point. However, if we can learn to forgive and let go, we will find peace and happiness. Holding resentment towards another person creates a lot of negative energy, and you end up hurting yourself more than the other person anyway. Let it go!
- Practice meditation. You would be surprised how effective simple breathing exercises can be to regain our focus. Yoga is another great way to find serenity and relaxation. If all else fails, just remember to breath.
- Build relationships and friendships with others. Build those social connections with others! Humans are not meant to go through life alone. Even introverts receive energy from other people. Build a support network and lean on those relationships when you need them most and make sure you are there for others when they need you!
Remember, no matter what happens to you, you are responsible for your own life. You thoughts drive your attitude and your attitude determines your happiness. Choose wisely. Become the type of person you want to be around.
THOUGHTS + THANKFULNESS + DELIBERATE ACTION = HAPPINESS
© 2018 Darleen Barnard