Ben has held a life-long interest in language and has a particular interest in the expressions, phrases, and idioms that contribute to it.
Life's Imponderable Questions
Who hasn’t at some time in their lives wondered about something for which they couldn’t find an answer? As a young child, I remember that my favorite saying was, “why is that”? And almost every day since then, I have at some point pondered over a difficult to fathom question.
Now I know that some people have an absolute yearning to eradicate all life’s great mysteries. But I have long given up on the youthful expectation that I will one day know everything there is to know. I now really don’t want to achieve this impossible goal. I think that the fact that I don’t everything is exciting - ambiguities are a part of life, embrace them. It keeps me searching for those questions and answers. Let’s face it – if we knew everything there was to know – life would be so monotonous, and dare I say it - dull. After all, as long as you remain curious, you will never be bored.
So, rather than worry about finding reasons for everything that exists, I sometimes like to go with the flow and let life’s little puzzle wash over me. If the act of pondering over something can bring a little laughter, then all the better. Give it a try. It might just brighten your day.
These animal-related imponderables may add a little amusement to your day.
What is Imponderable in the world is greater than what we can handle.
— Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, French Idealist Philosopher, 1881 - 1955
The Horse — a Few Imponderables That Niggle Away at Me
- Why do we measure a horse's height to the shoulder and not to the top of its head?
I know, I know, it’s all about not always being able to get a horse to stand with its head erect in the air, etc. etc. But still. Why?
- Why do horses sleep standing up?
Someone is going to tell me it’s all to do with a horses ability to lock its ligaments, muscles, and bones, thereby exerting no effort to stand. I understand this, but if evolution was able to develop such a sophisticated way to allow a horse to go to sleep on its feet, wouldn't it have been simpler to let a horse lay down? Even more confusingly, they can already do this - I've seen them sprawled out on the grass sunning themselves.
- Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?
- Do sheep get static cling when they rub against one another?
- If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?
Deer Imponderables — Oh Dear!
- How come you can kill a deer and put it on your wall but it’s illegal to keep them as a pet?
- How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?
- Why is it that whenever we are driving and a deer appears, it just stands still as if waiting to be struck? Whatever happened to flight or fight?
- If mynah birds can talk, why do you never hear two of them having a conversation?
- What do ducks have to do with duck-tape?
- Why don't you ever see baby pigeons?
- What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious?
Take A Moment To Ponder
- Would a fly without wings be called a walk?
- How come every time I feel like opening a can of worms, the supermarkets out of stock?
- What happens when none of your beeswax?
- How do those dead bugs get into sealed light fixtures?
- Why are moths attracted to light, but only ever seem to come out at night?
Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering - Snippets From Pinky and The Brain
More Animal Related Imponderables
- Why isn't mouse-flavored cat food sold?
- If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?
- Does a fish get cramps after eating?
- Do fish ever sneeze?
- If we can't see the air does that mean fish can't see water?
- If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?
And A Few More – Pushing The Boundaries I know!
- Why does Goofy stand erect while Pluto remains on all fours? They’re both dogs!
- Why does Bugs bunny walk around the cartoon naked, but puts a bathing suit on when he goes swimming?
Ben Reed (author) from Redcar on November 26, 2017:
They do set you wondering. Pondering over them can become very consuming if you let them.
Mary Norton from Ontario, Canada on November 09, 2017:
Imponderables indeed. Sometimes, I, too wonder at these things.